The aims of the Mathematics teachers at the Junior School are as follows:
- to ensure that pupils acquire essential mathematical knowledge and master essential mathematical skills across all the curriculum areas
- to provide access to a wide range of differentiated enrichment activities
- to enable pupils to fulfil their potential in this discipline
- to equip pupils with a range of strategies needed to solve unfamiliar problems
- to take the fear out of Mathematics and foster an enjoyment of the subject which the pupils will carry with them into secondary school and adulthood
We encourage our mathematicians to be resilient enough to tackle problems independently, embracing mistakes as opportunities for learning, and to be confident enough to share their ideas with others.
All pupils attend a daily mathematics lesson, whilst some also attend targeted catch-up sessions where an essential skill needs reinforcement. Opportunities are provided for the more able to stretch themselves beyond their comfort zones: · all pupils in Years 3 to 6 are invited to participate in an annual Festival of Maths showcase; the majority of pupils in Years 3 to 6 take part each year in the national Primary Maths Challenge or First Maths Challenge; regular Family Maths Challenges promote collaborative problem solving within families and across generations.